Sandia National Laboratories Embedded Software Engineer (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
This position’s primary focus will be the development of embedded software for specialized RF communication systems. Job duties include conceptualization, requirements development, software and firmware programming, design definition documentation, qualification/acceptance testing process development and execution, system deployment support, and system sustainment activities. It is crucial to have an in-depth understanding of mixed-signal (RF, analog, digital) electrical designs which enables the control, optimization, and troubleshooting of these special communication systems. Our systems are based on advanced signaling techniques and ultra-low power RF receiver/transmitter designs. Successful candidates will become part of a multi-discipline, success oriented, high-performance, project team delivering systems that impact our National Security. Projects range from very fast paced, quick reaction requests in response to real-world driven needs to longer term, life-critical efforts with rigorous development requirements. This position requires occasional travel of 6-8 trips within the Continental U.S. per year.
- Requires a bachelor’s and advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in relevant STEM discipline. A bachelor's degree plus four years experience may be considered in lieu of an advanced degree.
- Experience developing embedded software and firmware (ex. C, C++, C-Sharp) in bare-metal development environments.
- Knowledge and proficiency with time-critical control of electronics and sensors.
- Relevant experience and/or course work and interest in wireless communication systems.
- Familiarity with general test and measurement equipment (oscilloscopes, DVM, logic analyzers) and RF test equipment (network analyzer, spectrum analyzer.)
- Mixed signal digital and analog hardware design including schematic capture and layout of high density printed wiring assemblies incorporating micro-controllers, FPGA and PLD.
- Experience controlling RF communication transceiver chips through software and firmware while optimizing their performance.
- Matlab programming, data processing and simulation experience.
- Ability to plan, coordinate, and document laboratory and field tests.
- Great presentation skills with interest and ability to interact with internal and external customers.
- Technical team leadership interests and abilities.
- Ability to work effectively on both small and large software development teams (two-to-eight members).
- Good communication and documentation skills.
- Active Q Clearance.
The High Reliability Special Communications Department (5336) develops terrestrial, airborne, and space based special communications systems for use in surveillance and reconnaissance and high value target and material controls. Our customers include a variety of government organizations conducting special operations missions. Staff members have a diverse skills base including microwave circuit design, antenna design, signal analysis, digital signal processing, embedded software, and digital FPGA designs. Applications include long and short-range communications and transponder systems, typically utilizing ultra-low power signaling techniques. Our design challenges include highly miniaturized electronics, low-power maximally efficient transceivers, signal extraction in very low signal-to-noise environments, and signal analysis of RF and communication systems.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT