Sandia National Laboratories Electrical Surety Analyst - Circuits and Devices (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
Are you passionate about exciting physics and engineering problems? Then join this diverse team that helps tackle some of the most ambitious issues facing the nation’s security!
Organization 02934, Electrical Surety Analysis, is seeking an R&D Electrical Engineer to work on electrical circuit research and development, and analysis of sophisticated, high consequence nuclear deterrence systems. We address a range of ambitious technical issues associated with assuring performance and safety goals across nuclear deterrence programs.
On any given day, one may be called upon to:
- Develop device and circuit models, conduct simulations locally and on Sandia's High Performance Computing (HPC) clusters, and perform verification and validation of the models/results
- Work closely with systems engineers, designers, and experimentalists to improve designs, resolve anomalies, develop plans/specifications for test or analysis, quantify margins to requirements, and present results
- Research device and circuit technologies’ performance and aging in extreme environments
- Partner with in-house code developers on the development/application of innovative modeling and analysis techniques
- Partner with electromagnetic (EM) effects/compatibility analysts to answer hybrid EM-Circuit questions
- Work on several projects simultaneously while in a teaming environment
A Master's degree in Electrical Engineering
A GPA of 3.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale for Master's degrees earned
- Experience in analog circuit design and modeling
- The ability to acquire and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance
- Proficiency in a high-level programming language (e.g. C/C++, Matlab, Python)
Knowledge with the following:
Electromagnetic coupling and propagation analysis techniques
- SI/PI, high frequency circuit design, and layout considerations for EMC
- Nuclear Weapons systems
- Experience and knowledge of circuit simulation techniques
- Experience with Semiconductor device modeling and characterization
- Experience with industry leading modeling and simulation tools for the above areas (e.g. Silvaco, Keysight, Cadence, Mentor, Ansys, COMSOL)
- Superb verbal and written communication skills
- Proven experience with teaming for results
The Electrical Surety Analysis Department delivers electrical circuit and electromagnetic engineering, modeling, and analysis solutions focused on meeting our customers' safety, security, and reliability goals. We specialize in analysis of sophisticated electrical system and component behavior to answer questions regarding performance, safety, sensitivity, aging, and environmental effects. Our analyses support ambitious design or production goals and enhance the technical basis of current systems, and can be used to supplement existing prototyping, redesign, or trouble-shooting processes. Benefits include improved insight into physical phenomena, optimization of difficult or expensive testing, reduced cycle time, and resolution of anomalies, leading to increased confidence in engineered products.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
- Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.