Sandia National Laboratories Electrical Engineer - Transportation Security Systems (Early Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
Passionate about your work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art facilities to explore solutions? Join a dynamic team and solve significant issues and challenges for our nation's security!
We are seeking a highly-motivated Electrical Engineering to join our diverse team and collaborate on the design, development, and integration of command, control, and communication technologies used in specialized transportation security systems.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Collaborate on a multi-disciplinary team using a wide range of technologies, including analog and digital electronics, lasers, optical fiber, RF technologies, software and firmware development, and testers
- Contribute to research efforts in the areas of high consequence software systems, custom embedded circuit design, wireless network communications, intelligent power conditioning and distribution, navigation systems, and sensors
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering or a related STEM field
Experience in one or more of the following design areas:
Analog circuit design
- Embedded system design
- FPGA firmware development
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q clearance
- Ability to balance multiple, sometimes conflicting, priorities and successfully adapt to shifting priorities
- Proficiency in written and verbal communication, including preparation and delivery of presentations, proposals, reports, and other documentation
- Collaboration and interpersonal skills, including proven abilities in effective leadership, persuasion, delegation, and conflict resolution
- Experience working in a fast-paced and technically demanding environment, while solving exciting and complex problems
- Proficiency with the following:¿Electrical design and simulation tools (e.g. PSpice, OrCAD, Mentor Graphics, MATLAB, and LabVIEW)¿Test and integration of electronic components and systems
- Instrumentation for troubleshooting circuitry (e.g. oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, function generators, network analyzers, time domain reflectometers, etc.)
- Real Time Operating Systems (RTOS) in embedded applications
- Various communications protocols such as UART Serial, CAN, Ethernet, SPI, and I2C
- Software development using C/C++/C#, Java, Python, or LabVIEW
- Configuration management of software
We conduct research and development activities in the areas of high consequence software systems, custom embedded circuit design, wireless network communications, intelligent power conditioning and distribution, navigation systems, and sensors. Major programs supported by the department include the Safeguards Transporter (SGT), development of a new high security system called the Mobile Guardian Transporter (MGT) and an advanced concept surety programs called Integrated Surety Architectures (ISA). Robust security protection for transportation systems face many outstanding challenges, and requires comprehensive investigation and analysis of sophisticated system attacks and the associated development of countermeasures to defend and protect against such attacks. The use of modeling and simulation tools assists in the investigation, exploration, and development of new design approaches, algorithms, and design of experiments to validate system capabilities.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.