Sandia National Laboratories Data/Computer Science (Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
R&D Data Science professionals are needed for multiple positions to work on research and development teams addressing some of the nation’s most difficult challenges in the areas of data science, geospatial analytics, statistical analysis, text analytics, social analytics, machine learning and software engineering. We seek exceptionally talented, hardworking individuals who work well in teams, care about their teammates, and are life-long learners. Leadership opportunities are available. Travel opportunities are also available, as is the ability to collaborate with university, corporate, and government partners
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Understand and address existing and emerging threats among a diverse customer set;
- Conduct research to discover and test innovative methods in data analytics;
- Lead data-centric research and development projects;
- Build new understandings and capabilities by using evaluation techniques, critical review, experimentation, and engineering research and development methods;
- Spend time visiting with sponsors and understanding their challenges in order to propose, plan, conduct, or lead research and development;
- Analyze existing state-of-the-art solutions and develop new solutions;
- Produce and disseminate research proposals, reports, or papers;
- Perform engineering or research tasks independently or across multi-functional teams.
*Candidates applying on this requisition may be interviewed and/or hired into one of the departments in 5950 - depending on their strengths, experience and program needs.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant STEM field and Master’s Degree with thesis in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, or other relevant field;
- Proficiency in computer programming languages such as C/C++, Java, Python, etc.;
- Experience or training in research and development in one or more of the following areas: Applied statistics, streaming algorithms, discrete math, machine learning, analytics (e.g. text, behavioral, spatiotemporal, cyber), software development/engineering, or other relevant area;
- Ability to acquire and maintain a required US DOE security clearance and SCI clearance, which may require a polygraph test.
- Ph.D. in disciplines listed above;
- Ability to conduct independent technical projects or scientific research;
- Experience or training in research and development in one or more of the following areas: mathematics, statistics, optimization, discrete math, data science, distributed/parallel computation, modeling and simulation, or other relevant area;
- Ability to perform in a highly collaborative and team-focused environment;
- Evidence for and a desire to lead in any capacity (technical direction, project leader, program leader, mentor, educator, etc.);
- Detail knowledge of and experience with designing, planning, and executing research, design, and development projects;
- Ability to adapt to different software platforms and languages.
- Strong communication skills and a demonstrated ability to develop technical ideas and results and present them in oral and written form.
In Data Science & Applications, Department 5953, we identify and collect mission analytics needs, share them with analytics researchers inside and outside the labs, collaborate and invest in research, integrate analytics capabilities, and partner with Sandia programs to transition successful research into mission applications. We provide analytics capability to support Sandia's National Security Programs (NSP, Division 5000) and partner broadly across Sandia to collaborate on critical programmatic opportunities where analytics are needed. We are successful when analytic capabilities provide a groundbreaking advantage to the nation through improved decisions, actions, and outcomes. The current strengths of this department are in computer science, software development, software engineering, applied statistics, applied mathematics, optimization, geospatial analytics and text analytics. National security challenges require that we become specialists in cross-domain analytics addressing the phenomenal diversity of data types and decision spaces of our sponsors in a coordinated fashion. We continue to grow into this broader problem set.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov *These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance and SCI access, both of which require US citizenship. SCI access may also require a polygraph examination. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain these levels of access may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.
This Limited Term Employee (LTE) position is a temporary position for one year term, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to a maximum of seven years.
Individuals in LTE positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.