Sandia National Laboratories Cyber Solutions Architect (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
The Field Intelligence Element (FIE) Cyber Security Operations Team is seeking a highly motivated and driven Cyber Security Architect to research, design, and develop mission-enabling cyber solutions which effectively integrate our sponsor’s information security requirements. These solutions require close partnerships between our mission partners and sponsors, and we’re looking for an additional team member to continue delivering practical solutions to benefit Sandia and our entire FIE community. Our ideal candidate will leverage their knowledge in cyber security and enterprise IT systems to engineer innovative, integrated, and risk-managed solutions to address complex national security challenges.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Engage our mission partners to define system requirements
- Identify cyber security or architectural risks and propose alternatives
- Perform analysis of sponsor cyber policies and requirements against solution criteria
- Develop and integrate cyber security controls into existing or new infrastructures
- Evaluate emerging technologies for cyber security risk management
- Provide recommendations to internal and external senior leadership
- Bachelor’s degree in Management Information Systems, Information Assurance, Systems Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field, plus five years' related experience; or Master’s degree in the above-mentioned disciplines plus two or more years' related experience; or experience and/or achievements that demonstrate the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties of the job,
- Experience implementing secure design and architectures based on known Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVEs),
- Experience automating processes using the tools of your choice (Python, shell scripts, MS VBA, MS Powershell, etc.),
- Ability to coordinate cyber security-related activities with peer and customer information security architects, engineers, officers, system owners, and sponsors,
- Ability to travel for job related training, work duties, and customer engagement as needed, and
- Ability to obtain and maintain Department of Energy (DOE) Q and Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) clearances which may require a polygraph test.
- Experience implementing or developing services within cloud services (AWS or Azure)
- Experience applying the Risk Management Framework (RMF) via NIST Special Publication 800-37, Intelligence Community Directive (ICD) 503, or Committee of National Security Systems (CNSS) cyber security programs,
- Experience with Security Orchestration Automation and Response (SOAR) or Security Event Information Management (SEIM),
- Experience with virtualization technologies including VMWare ESXi, vSphere, or vCenter,
- Experience with web application security and Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP),
- Industry-recognized IT or Cyber Security certifications (e.g., CISSP, GIAC, CCSP, EnCE),
- Experience or a motivation to learn cyber forensics,
- Active DOE Q (or DOD TS), and
- Active SCI Security Clearance which may require a polygraph test.
The FIE Cyber Security Operations Team supports the Field Intelligence Element mission by ensuring effective security solutions through security engineering, information system security plans, vulnerability assessments, deployment and maintenance of cryptographic devices, classified key management, and TEMPEST compliance assessments. The Cyber Security Operations staff consists of Information Systems Security Managers (ISSMs), Information Systems Security Officers (ISSOs), Information Systems Security Engineers (ISSEs), COMSEC professionals, and TEMPEST professionals providing effective technical solutions for cyber security work supporting the Intelligence Community (IC).
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
• Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
• Extraordinary co-workers
• Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
• Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
• Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
• Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance and SCI access, both of which require US citizenship. SCI access may also require a polygraph examination. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain these levels of access may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.