Sandia National Laboratories Computer Aided Design and Drafting Technologist - (Early Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a Computer Aided Design and Drafting Technologist
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Create and modify component and system definition by implementing and integrating design solutions.
- Design three-dimensional models and detailed drawings of complex objects and systems.
- Integrate defined requirements based on client needs or direct guidance.
- Utilize three-dimensional computer-aided design (CAD) software to develop and propose mechanical designs and perform dimensional calculations and analyses.
- Gather and analyze product performance.
You may be interviewed and/or hired into one of several design engineering organizations at Sandia National Labs.
- Associate degree in Mechanical Drafting or Mechanical Engineering Technology; or equivalent combination of relevant education and/or proven experience may be considered.
- Experience using CAD software for 3D solid modeling and mechanical drawing generation.
- Ability to acquire and maintain a DOE Q clearance
- Experience using PTC-Creo software for mechanical design.
- Understanding of mechanical design principles to formulate design concepts and meet product requirements.
- Understand principles of tolerance analysis and geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) based on experience, training, or certification such as ASME GDTP technologist level.
- Understanding of configuration management principles.
- Understanding of manufacturing methods for mechanical hardware.
- Understanding of Design for Manufacturing principles.
- Demonstrated successful teamwork, excellent communication skills (oral and written), and consistent demonstration of good behaviors.
- Solid understanding of Microsoft Office Products.
- Knowledge and understanding of the NW engineering systems and the NNSA product realization process.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a diverse team environment.
- Active Security Clearance.
Sandia's “Design Engineering Group” consists of multiple mechanical design departments that provide design engineering services using Computer Aided Design (CAD) software such as PTC Creo and other 3D modeling tools. We partner with engineering teams across the lab to produce innovative design solutions based on high-quality CAD models and drawings. We ensure fit, form, and function using Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T), while ensuring manufacturability and maintainability of designs. We determine the physical characteristics of the product including: geometric form, interface features, manufacturing specifications, processes, and assembly instructions. We communicate design options and recommended approaches to product development teams, stakeholders, and manufacturing partners. We apply technical judgment based upon engineering principles in the design and development of innovative products in support of our Nation’s security programs. We provide a positive and inclusive work environment where staff can master new skills, deliver optimal value, and achieve their career goals.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.