Sandia National Laboratories Computational Mechanics Inverse and Design Postdoctoral Appointee in Albuquerque, New Mexico
This postdoctoral position is a temporary position for up to one year, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to five additional years. The PhD must have been conferred within five years prior to employment.
Individuals in postdoctoral positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.
Are you passionate about your work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art facilities to explore solutions? Do you want to join a dynamic team that solves significant issues for our nation’s security?
You could be the Postdoctoral Appointee we are seeking to join our dynamic team. You will work with our research team to develop algorithms, models and software tofocus on computational mechanics inverse and design problems. Application areas include; acoustic cloaking, nonlinear structural design and mechanical metamaterials. You should have strong background in the areas of computational mechanics, C++ software development, high-performance computing and optimization is desired. You will assist in coding adjoint-based optimization for in-house software used to solve optimal design and inverse problems involving solid mechanics. Your expected outcomes include conference presentations, peer-reviewed journal publications and significant interactions with Sandia staff in material science, computational science and solid mechanics.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Develop C++ software of adjoint-based optimization techniques and application of these methods for solving complex design and inverse problems.
- Mathematical derivation of adjoint-based optimization formulations for applications in acoustic cloaking, nonlinear structural design, and mechanical metamaterial design.
- Engage with experts in mechanics, computational science, and material science.
- Preparing presentation materials and theory documents as part of conference presentations and journal publications.
- PhD, conferred within 5 years prior to employment, in the aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, or applied mathematics/computational engineering sciences
- Good communication skills as evidenced by a history of publication of results in peer-reviewed journals and external presentations at appropriate scientific conferences
- Experience in optimization and computational solid mechanics
- Experience with C++ software development
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoE Q clearance
- Good teaming skills for working with multiple teams at Sandia
- Experience working with a diverse team
- Experience with using advanced scientific software on massively parallel computing clusters
- Experience with scientific software development, including working with development teams using object-oriented frameworks
- Experience with acoustics, contact mechanics, plasticity, or meta-materials
The Department develops advanced, massively parallel simulation codes for solid mechanics and structural dynamics. This includes the development of advanced linear and nonlinear solution algorithms, contact mechanics, finite element formulations, and research in advanced computational algorithms for continuum and noncontinuum mechanics.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.