Sandia National Laboratories AGT Accelerator Operations Team Lead in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Are you passionate about your work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art facilities to explore solutions? Do you want to join a dynamic team that solves significant issues for our nation’s security?
We are seeking a self-directed, customer focused, individual who has strong interpersonal, teaming, leadership, and analytical skills to become the Team Lead to support the 1342 department manager in operation of three major radiation generating facilities located at Tech Area IV. This position will provide leadership in accelerator maintenance and operations.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Schedule technologist support for operations and maintenance activities.
- Assure technologists are trained and qualified to perform their duties.
- Perform as accelerator coordinator at the major facilities.
- Interface with the Engineering Team Lead regarding accelerator performance.
- Interface with experimentalists and other stakeholders for all accelerator operations.
- Provide coaching and mentor-ship for newer staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline plus five or more years of experience, or engineering or scientific experience and/or achievements that demonstrate the knowledge, skills and ability to perform independent research and development
- Your background includes experience with pulsed power systems
- Active DOE L Clearance or equivalent
- Ability to model behaviors that reflect Sandia National Laboratories' core values
- Expertise and competencies in pulsed power generating X-ray sources
- Knowledge and demonstrated characteristics of Sandia National Laboratories' Leadership model
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage and complete multiple programs and projects
- Knowledge of relevant Sandia policies and procedures
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of internal and external customers, including the ability to build and manage effective working relationships
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results, effectively manage people, and guide multidisciplinary teams
- Ability to coach employees on work tasks and organizational requirements
- Knowledge of Sandia's safety and security rules and guidelines
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and follow through to completion on multiple tasks
- Ability to work with sensitive information and classified matter
The AGT Accelerator Operations Department (1342) is responsible for the operation and continual development of the Saturn, HERMES III, and SPHINX pulsed power accelerators. The primary objective of the department is to provide an applied research environment for radiation effects and weapon physics experiments. The machines generate electrical pulses of up to 20 million Volts and up to 12 million Amperes with nanosecond durations to create very intense radiation environments. These hostile environments present very challenging research and development opportunities in areas such as: current, voltage, X-ray and Gamma-ray diagnostics, data acquisition, control and automation systems. Department 1342 also conducts pulsed power research and development to: improve radiation source fidelity, increase the output and fluence, as well as to improve the overall reliability and reproducibility of the accelerators. These unique, world class facilities are an essential part of the NNSA's Stockpile Stewardship Program.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance to start.
Position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance or active clearance with another U.S. government agency (e.g., DOD) to be considered for this position.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.