Sandia National Laboratories Advanced Computational Software Engineer (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
The Computational Infrastructure Department is seeking a Computer Scientist/Engineer to join a team of software developers and engineers focused on developing and delivering a software tools that enable integrated and efficient development of high quality production-grade computational simulation applications.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Develop, integrate and support solutions and methods for production software development workflows
• Develop & maintain test bed infrastructure
• Implement algorithms for general and extensible use in C++ Object-Oriented toolkits and/or libraries
• Work in an innovative, multidisciplinary team environment that conducts research in modern and next generation computing environments necessary for advancing
computational science and engineering R&D and turning that research to production-level software
• Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in a relevant STEM discipline
platforms and development environments such as LabVIEW, and numerical computing environments such as MATLAB and general purpose parallel programming
languages such as VHDL
• Experience with configuration management, issue tracking, automated testing infrastructure, and/or commonly used software engineering tools such as
CMake/CTest/CDash and Jenkins
• Experience working in a SAFe environment and experience developing software and using tools on multiple platforms such as Linux, Mac OS X, and/or Windows
• Current DoE L-cleared with the ability to obtain and maintain a DoE Q-clearance
• Experience using formal software engineering processes (including agile processes)
• Experience utilizing component software libraries for scientific software development
• A demonstrated ability to develop and communicate ideas and results in oral and written form and to work in a team environment
Sandia's Computational Simulation Group (CSG) is a highly integrated team of departments focused on delivering an integrated suite of trusted, world-class, predictive engineering tools enabling multi-physics analyses for national security and national competitiveness applications. This suite of computational simulation tools and supporting framework is known as SIERRA and has explicit ties to the Labs' workflow, including geometry and meshing, design and optimization, visualization, and maintenance and support. The CSG employs rigorous product development processes where staff are the key impetus for process improvements through adoption of new techniques and industry best practices. SIERRA development is conducted under the principles of lean/agile software practices. These development practices help ensure effective and efficient support to customers through a mature and integrated software infrastructure which is transparent across the customer base, regardless of missions/programs/projects. For planning purposes, the infrastructure is subdivided into several components: algorithms and software development (build environments, software quality tools, and software testing), software deployment (licensing, distribution, and export controls), and the software maintenance and services (software setup and updates, software training, and help desk). This infrastructure serves as the foundation upon which systems and capabilities are built, tested, deployed, and sustained; and, the Computational Simulation Infrastructure Team is the coordination point for software development tools, processes, and end-user distribution for the SIERRA suite of capabilities.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted L-level security clearance to start.
Position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) granted L-level security clearance or active clearance with another US government agency, e.g., DOD, to be considered for this position.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE L-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT