Sandia National Laboratories Accelerator Hardware Design Engineer (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a Mechanical Engineer to support design and product realization efforts for the Pulsed Power Sciences Center. This work is typically the realization of large complex hardware and hardware systems that must be installed to work in critical extreme environments.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Use engineering principles to research, design, or develop structures, instruments, machines, experiments, processes, systems, theories, or technologies; to construct or operate the same with full cognizance of their design; or to forecast their behavior under specific operating conditions
- Conceptualize, design, analyze, and manage product realization of hardware on next generation accelerators and pulsed power experiments
- Team with physicists and scientists in the realization of complex hardware systems to perform advanced research
- Develop state of the art sensors, diagnostics, and pulsed power concepts
- Work to meet critical schedules in an extremely exciting environment
- Work with team of engineers and technicians to resolve complex hardware realization or resolve issues with existing hardware
- Lead technical projects and cross functional teams
- Travel as required for training or to support project efforts
- Bachelor’s degree in a Mechanical Engineering or relevant STEM discipline plus 6 years’ experience; or Bachelor's and Master’s in Mechanical Engineering or relevant STEM discipline plus 2 years' experience in engineering design
- Experience with FEA using one or more of the following: ABAQUS, ANSYS, NASTRAN, SIERRA, CTH
- Experience with CREO
- Experience in hardware systems design (small diagnostics to large scale structures)
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoE Q clearance
- Engineering and design experience in Pulsed Power Systems (mechanical systems in extreme high current and voltage environments)
- Experience with dynamic FEA
- Experience with SolidWorks
- Proficiency in PYTHON, CUBIT, MATLAB, or similar engineering tools
- Familiarity with SNL's Product Design Realization processes (PRIDE, IMS, PDM)
- Facilities design experience (large volume oil, water and high vacuum systems and specifically fluids handling systems that move in excess of 10,000 gal/ min oil and water)
- Ability to work to results oriented schedules
- Ability to work in a results-oriented and high-performance teaming environment
The Pulsed Power Sciences Center (1600) at Sandia National Laboratories is accountable for advancing the understanding, development, and application of pulsed power for the missions of the nuclear weapons program. The Center also utilizes its major experimental, theoretical, and computational capabilities to meet the national security and fundamental science needs of numerous Sandia and external customers. Center 1600 is Sandia's homebase organization for research in High Energy Density Physics (HEDP), Inertial Confinement Fusion (ICF), Advanced Radiography, Pulsed Power Science and Technology, and Fusion Technologies.
The Pulsed Power Engineering Department (1693) supports the engineering needs for the Pulsed Power Sciences Center by providing advanced engineering, design, and documentation services supporting the Z Machine, Sandia's Pulsed Power Sciences Center's flag ship program, and all other fusion and pulsed power hardware and technology development and maintenance needs. Additionally, the department supports other Sandia groups with engineering services by performing analysis and design. We maintain the required technical expertise needed to design, deliver, and support robust and cost effective pulsed power systems.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT