Sandia National Laboratories Software Engineer (Early/Mid-Career) in Livermore, California
We are seeking a R&D Computer Scientist/Software Engineer that would be responsible for deploying high-impact and high-consequence national security capabilities supporting a broad range of US government customers. Your work will have direct impact to our warfighters, maintain national security, have tangible results that will continually reinforce your commitment to the team and cultivate your creativity.
You will be part of a dynamic team dedicated to the relentless pursuit of exceptional service in the national interest. You will work under the mentorship and leadership of our senior software engineers and management. We are seeking individuals that thrive in a team environment, are eager to roll up their sleeves and –take on tough challenges, desire to learn new skills, demonstrate persistence and proactivity, and are dedicated to making a difference for National Security. We are particularly interested in individuals which take great pride in the quality of their code and the products our team produces.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Partner with senior software engineers and system engineers to implement solutions to customer needs, developing code and unit tests, developing software infrastructure to support the software development team, providing on-call support for software discrepancy resolution in our production environment, contributing to the development and execution of test plans and procedures, performing system integration testing, and writing software documentation.
- Develop and pursue partnerships with internal and external technical -specialist in Information Technology, software, and communications build creative technical designs to meet requirements.
- Bachelor’s and master’s degrees in a technical field (e.g. electrical, computer, and software engineering related fields) with experience (1-3 years) with demonstrated successes in more than one of the following areas:
- Project management
- Written and oral communication (with samples to share)
- Trade analyses
- Technical documentation (e.g., requirements, interface control documents, project status, test plans and procedures)
- System testing
- Creative system design
- Reliability and performance assessment
- Time management
- Detail Oriented
- Ability to obtain and maintain US DOE Q and SCI security clearance.
- Advanced degree in Computer Science or related field; professional experience can be waived with an appropriate advanced degree
- Experience with Apache Karaf – Java, Apache Came, Mina/Netty, OSGI, JMX, JDBC, Apache Aries, Log4J2, Apache CXF
- Experience with Relational Databases (e.g., Oracle PL/SQL, SQLite) and Not Only SQL (e.g. NoSQL, Accumulo).
- Experience with Git, Mercurial, Nexus, Maven, Jenkins, GitlabRunner, IntelliJ
- Experience with an Agile Software Development methodology
- Experience with Test-driven development
- Prior Government employment experience
- Knowledge of KML/geo-location/mapping
- Existing DOE Q clearance (or equivalent) and SCI clearances
The Special Programs II Department (08773) has been described as stimulating, impactful, and demanding. We focus on building and deploying a versatile set of situational awareness tools consisting of graphical web interfaces, translation processors, and specialized communication systems. You will have the opportunity to wear many hats when you join our team. Every single day that you come to work will be different. We will need you to be agile and have the ability to prioritize different activities.
Our projects span numerous technical disciplines from systems engineering, software development, network and infrastructure design, and information assurance. Our projects cover all phases of the system development lifecycle from inception to operations, and range in duration from days to years. Our team partners closely with our customers to understand their mission needs and quickly develop robust meaningful solutions.
Special Program’s unique infrastructure, operational mindset, deep domain expertise, and technical experience builds distinct and extraordinary capabilities for our nation and the people who put their lives on the line to protect it.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a SCI security clearance.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance and SCI clearance, which may require a polygraph test.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship and SCI clearance, which may require a polygraph test.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT