Sandia National Laboratories R&D Systems Engineer- Mechanical Engineering (Experienced) in Livermore, California
We are seeking an R&D Systems Engineer with a mechanical engineering background and advanced technical degree to join the systems engineering team for the W80-4 warhead life extension program. This is a large program with a wide range of roles and responsibilities for a talented engineer. The individual will originate design concepts for future systems and components, informed by modeling and simulation techniques; develop and test actual prototypes; guide technology maturation efforts that will enable the realization of these approaches; and evolve and qualify innovative fabrication and assembly techniques. The engineer will be involved in systems and/or component engineering efforts across all phases of projects spanning from conceptual-design studies, to feasibility/cost studies, to full scale engineering design, qualification, and production efforts. The individual would interact routinely with personnel across multiple SNL organizations, as well as Lawrence Livermore National Laboratories, the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA), production agencies throughout the NNSA nuclear security enterprise, and Department of Defense organizations.
Depending on the skills and interests of the engineer, specific responsibilities may include some or all of the following:
- Design of mechanical components
- Mechanical layout of weapon system
- Development and implementation of test plans
- Maturation of requirements for a specific area or component
- Integration activities with other systems engineers and product realization teams
- Technical guidance on critical design elements
- Support and review development of requirements, surveillance, qualification, integration, and test plans
- Present at technical design reviews
- Earned Value Management status reporting
- Design trade studies
- Cost studies
- Technical interface with component designers
- Technical interface with product facilities
- Represent Sandia on multi-organizational (i.e. NNSA, DoD, LLNL, SNL) project teams.
- Bachelor’s and master's degrees in Mechanical Engineering or Systems Engineering, or related discipline with at least two years of experience; or Ph.D. in these disciplines;
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time;
- Ability to obtain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance.
- Experience working on engineering design, qualification, production, or related modeling/simulation projects;
- Exceptional communication and written skills;
- Experience leading teams;
- Experience in Earned Value Management (EVM);
- Active security clearance; DOE Q or DOD TS.
The W80-4 System Integration Departments are part of the Sandia/California Weapon Systems Engineering Center. The Weapon Systems Engineering Center is responsible for assuring the safety, reliability and security of U.S. nuclear weapons enabling the defense of our nation through our nuclear strategic deterrent. The W80-4 System Integration Departments are comprised of a group of dedicated and motivated engineers with advanced technical degrees, primarily in mechanical and electrical engineering. A major effort for this organization is the engineering design and development in support of a Life Extension Program for a nuclear warhead (W80-4). The W80-4 warhead will be deployed on the future U.S. Air Force Long Range Standoff (LRSO) cruise missile that will replace the existing Air Launched Cruise Missile (ALCM)/W80 Warhead weapon system in our nation's nuclear deterrent stockpile. This is a long term program that will require close collaboration with many different departments within Sandia as well as with organizations outside of Sandia such as LLNL, NNSA, Production Facilities, and the Department of Defense (DoD).
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT