Sandia National Laboratories R&D, Electromechanical Technologist (Experienced) in Livermore, California
The Engine Combustion Research Department has an opening for an electromechanical technologist who will join a world-class team of scientists, technologists, postdoctoral fellows, and visiting researchers. The successful applicant will serve as a technologist in the department supporting research efforts and must be capable of working with minimal guidance.
On any given day, you may be called on to do the following:
- Specifying, procuring, assembling, debugging, and maintaining custom-built and commercial mechanical and electrical components and systems (e.g., high-pressure combustion vessels, internal combustion engines, fuel injection systems, high-pressure gas delivery systems, custom electronics and laboratory control devices) necessary for carrying out our research mission. This will involve substantial hands-on activity as well as inspection and quality assurance of vendor supplied components;
- Designing specialized mechanical components and developing fully dimensioned production drawings, using commercial computer-aided design packages;
- Instrumenting devices, such as high-pressure fuel injectors (3,500 atm), and installing/maintaining basic lab instrumentation and equipment (e.g., commercial gas analyzers, flow instrumentation, and electronic solenoid valves);
- Specifying, procuring, assembling, debugging, and maintaining commercial electro-mechanical equipment;
- Supporting resident and visiting researchers and coordinating support activities with peers, facilities and maintenance personnel, and external suppliers.
The successful candidate will work in a very challenging and rewarding environment that provides considerable opportunity for personal, professional, and technical growth.
- Minimum of a two-year degree in electromechanical engineering, physics, or a related field, or a minimum of five years of work experience in a research laboratory environment and specialized training related to the job description above;
Skill requirements include the following:
Hands-on experience with complex mechanical components and systems;
- Basic machine shop experience including use of lathes, mills, drill presses, etc.;
- Ability to maintain basic laboratory electrical and instrumentation systems that include devices such as flow valves, solenoids, pressure transducers, thermocouples, and gas analyzers;
- Ability to develop drawings with standard computer-aided design tools; and the ability to assemble custom electronic control devices and cabling, troubleshoot existing equipment, and maintain simple LANs.
Selected applicants will be required to take a Job Placement Assessment before beginning the job to ensure that they can perform the essential physical requirements, with or without accommodations.
- Must be self-motivated and detail-oriented, must enjoy taking considerable responsibility and initiative, and must work well in both a team environment and as an individual;
- Knowledge of high-pressure gas (500 atm) and liquid (3,500 atm) system design and assembly;
- Ability to specify and design basic research laboratory electronic equipment;
- Experience with 3-d modeling software and FEA (Pro/E or SolidWorks desired);
- Ability to machine close-tolerance mechanical components.
The mission of Sandia/California's Engine Combustion Research Department is to develop the science base needed by industry to build and optimize a new generation of advanced, high-efficiency, clean internal-combustion (IC) engines that use both conventional and alternative fuels. The department is part of Sandia's Combustion Research Facility (CRF), where 100 scientists, engineers, and technologists conduct basic and applied research to improve our nation's ability to use and control combustion processes efficiently and cleanly. The CRF offers a challenging and stimulating work environment that addresses today's most critical energy and environmental issues, as well as opportunities for personal, professional, and technical growth.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record checks, and employment and education verifications. Further, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to the work site. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance, and one subsequently becomes required or you bid on positions that require a DOE-granted security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for DOE-granted security clearances must be U.S. citizens and be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance as required for the position.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT