Sandia National Laboratories Environmental Technologist (Experienced) in Livermore, California
This is a limited term assignment. These assignments are typically for up to a one-year period, with the option to extend for up to six additional years at the manager's discretion.
- Review and process all site Hazardous and regulated waste disposal requests.
- Assists waste generators with detailed chemical characterization of waste, including EPA and non-RCRA waste coding.
- Perform pick-ups, packaging and storage of all Hazardous and Universal waste at the site.
- Performs lab-packing activities under the direction of waste disposal contractor.
- Coordinates the shipment of lab packs, bulk drum and roll offs with waste disposal contractor, including preparation of manifests, bills of lading and other shipment paperwork.
- Works closely with other Hazardous Waste Management personnel to ensure that the hazardous waste is processed, stored and shipped from the Sandia permitted facility in compliance with permits and local, state and federal regulations.
- Provides key customer support, interacting closely with on-site hazardous waste generators to address waste issues, including satellite area accumulation and waste characterization.
- Supports the on-site Radioactive and Mixed waste activities in support of the Corporate Sandia program.
- Work with Hazardous Waste Program Lead to maintain consistent and compliant hazardous waste management practices in support of customer requirements and permit conditions.
- Assists managers and technical staff in identifying and satisfying corporate and regulatory ES&H requirements, including preparing primary hazard screens, operating procedures, and work control documents.
- Active member on the Site Spill Response Team.
- Liaisons with subject matter experts and helps management conduct self-assessments.
- Provides technical support associated with the recognition, measurement, evaluation, and control of potential hazardous waste compliance issues.
- Provides occasional support for Chemical Management and Pollution Preventers.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of hazards and safe work practices associated with handling and managing hazardous materials and waste.
- Experience and technical knowledge in environmental compliance, specifically hazardous waste characterization, storage and shipment requirements
- Strong computer skills is an essential requirement for this position, as waste generation and tracking is done with an electronic, bar-code system.
- Ability to use personal protection equipment, including a respirator.
- Ability to lift and maneuver waste packages, utilizing drum dollies, forklifts and other lift devices.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local hazardous waste regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Excellent customer service and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work in fast paced environment, often under strict deadlines, frequent interruption and changing situations.
- Experience with generating and interpreting reports specific to waste management activities.
- Skill in conducting research, investigating alternative solutions, and recommending solutions to problems in support activities in environmental control and measurement
Experience applying EPA and CA State Hazardous Waste codes
Ability to lift and maneuver waste containers and packages
Bachelor’s degree in related scientific or engineering field OR 5 or more years direct,
applicable hazardous waste management experience.
Experience creating hazardous waste manifests and generating land disposal restriction documents
OSHA HAZWOPER (40 Hour) certification
California Hazardous Waste Generator Training
DOT Hazardous Materials/Hazardous Waste Training
The SNL/California Environmental Management Department is responsible for the implementation of all environmental programs and activities at the Livermore site in support of research and development in combustion, bio-defense, energy and nuclear security disciplines. The department implements five Environmental programs (Air Quality, Environmental Monitoring, Environmental Planning, Waste Management and Pollution Prevention).
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted L-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE L-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT