Sandia National Laboratories Electrical Engineering, Lead Modeling and Simulation Analyst (Experienced) in Livermore, California
We are seeking a R&D S&E, Electrical Engineering professional to lead high-priority Electrical modeling and simulation analysis activities in support of various system and component design, development, and analysis customers.
As electrical system analysts, we develop and exercise high-fidelity electrical engineering models to address a range of challenging technical issues associated with assuring performance and safety goals. We analyze complex electrical systems, utilizing computational simulations to characterize and predict all aspects of electrical system performance, including: electrical interface compatibility, signal integrity, power distribution and integrity, analog and digital circuit behaviors, and electronics performance under extreme (e.g., temperature and radiation) environments. We are actively pursuing Research & Development (R&D) to develop and apply novel modeling and simulation approaches, especially for multi-fidelity and cross-disciplinary applications.
We seek a self-motivated individual with interest or expertise in the following areas:
- Electrical circuit analysis
- Analog circuit (SPICE) simulation
- Digital simulation (VHDL/Verilog) and Mixed analog-digital simulation
- Functional or behavioral system modeling (e.g., discrete event, finite state machine)
- Some exposure (e.g., undergraduate electrical engineering level) to relevant electrical engineeringand mathematical concepts, such as: device physics, electromagnetics, and statistical uncertainty quantification (i.e., basic statistics and/or probability)
The successful applicant will lead a cross-disciplinary, multi-organizational team to tackle complex technical problems, perform relevant analysis, and deliver impactful results. Applicants will be expected to work on several projects simultaneously and in a teaming environment. Some travel may be required.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Provide technical leadership for analysis activities and interface with relevant customers and collaborators
- Develop and simulate analog (SPICE) circuit models, as well as digital and mixed analog-digital models
- Utilize various simulation and analysis tools and develop interfaces between tools to support mixed-fidelity (i.e., mixed level-of-abstraction) simulations, e.g., mixed analog-digital simulations in conjunction with Matlab/Simulink and uncertainty analysis/optimization tools (e.g., DAKOTA)
- Conduct state-of-the-art simulations on large multi-node high performance computational platforms for the characterization of circuit performance, sensitivity analysis, and uncertainty quantification
- Develop a detailed understanding of customer requirements and verify electrical model (e.g., electrical device, subsystem, and system) performance to those requirements
- Work closely with systems engineers, designers, and experimentalists to create models and analyze, validate, and report results
- For the interested applicant, opportunities exist to pursue development/application of innovative analysis techniques or to work with electromagnetic effects analysts, device physics experts, and in-house code developers.
- Bachelors and master's degrees in Electrical Engineering (or related discipline, e.g., engineering physics) with at least two years’ relevant experience; or bachelor’s degree in these disciplines with at least six years’ relevant experience;
- Strong interest in problem solving, modeling, simulation, and analysis;
- Electrical circuit design (analog or digital) and/or modeling experience;
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q security clearance.
- Master’s degree or PhD in Electrical Engineering
- Experience with analog (PSPICE), digital (VHDL/Verilog), functional, behavioral, discrete event, or other circuit simulation software
- Experience using UNIX/Linux operating systems and/or High Performance Computing clusters
- Experience in the application of statistics to simulation results and analysis
- Experience with Uncertainty Quantification or experimental validation of computational models
- Knowledge of digital design and verification techniques
- Knowledge of electromagnetic coupling and propagation analysis techniques (i.e., computational electromagnetics)
- Proficiency in a high-level programming language (e.g. C/C++, Matlab, Python)
- Ability to assess tool capabilities and limitations in selecting the appropriate methodology for electrical circuit or system simulation
- Knowledge of Nuclear Weapon systems
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated experience with teaming for results
- Technical leadership experience (e.g., as Principal Investigator)
- Technical project management experience (e.g., defining technical tasks/deliverables, managing project budget and schedule)
We are a small team seeking to grow to meet an increased need for electrical modeling and simulation analysis in support of Sandia National Laboratories’ upcoming system development programs and other national security applications. Our present staff is comprised of Master's-level and PhD-level electrical engineers, with expertise in circuit simulation as well as a broad range of related engineering and physics topics. We work closely with design engineers, simulation code developers, applied mathematicians and statisticians, experimentalists, and analysts from peer electrical analysis organizations and other engineering and systems analysis disciplines.
We directly support design, assessment, and analysis activities for both internal and external customers across the nuclear weapons and broader national security application space. At the same time, we are actively engaged in R&D efforts to adapt and develop novel analysis techniques to address a range of complex and unique technical challenges.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT