Sandia National Laboratories Systems Engineer (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a Systems Engineer
What Your Job Will Be Like
The United States Geophysical Monitoring System (US GMS) project is a large-scale re-development effort to modernize the US GMS for the Air Force Technical Applications Center (AFTAC). Sandia has worked with AFTAC for several years to define requirements and architectural design for the modernized system. We are seeking an experienced Systems Engineer to work with the existing teams through development and delivery using the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) methodology. We are looking for someone who has experience as a systems engineer on software development projects. This project has both high impact and visibility.
On a given day you may be asked to:
• Develop and manage system and subsystem requirements with particular attention to traceability, technical rationale, allocation and flow-down, and verification methods/strategies
• Identify requirement changes and potential tradeoffs and work with external customers to resolve requirement issues
• Drive the accurate capture, dissemination, and tracebility of requirements and verification documentation
• Brief external customers on system design, requirements verification, and integration testing efforts
• Ensure that the impact of proposed changes is understood and the derivation of requirements is successfully defensible and executed
• Assist Product Management with defining project features, dependencies, and critical paths
• Help coordinates development, testing, and acceptance activities
• Participate directly in agile development process by communication allocated requirements, solution intent and acceptance criteria to software development teams
• Interface with customer system engineers to successfully complete system sell-off and transition to operation
• Ability to obtain an SCI clearance
• Bachelor’s degree in Management Information Systems, Computer Science, or other relevant discipline plus five years of relevant experience; or Master’s degree in Management Information Systems, Computer Science, or other relevant discipline plus two years of relevant experience; or equivalent applicable job experience (a minimum of 13 years of relevant experience required to qualify in lieu of relevant degree as listed).
• Experience with generating system requirements, top-level functional designs with requirements flow-down, interface definitions, verification and validation activities and production of project documentation
• Experience with designing, planning, and executing research, design, and development projects
• Experience with Agile development methodologies
• Experience with Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)
• Experience with Collaborative Lifecycle Management tools (e.g. IBM Jazz/Rational tools)
• Experience developing mission critical data processing and analysis systems
• Department of Energy (DOE)-granted Q-level security clearance
• Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
• Ability to work with various disciplines across multiple development subteams
• Strong organizational skills
• Position will require occasional travel
The Dynamic Monitoring Software Department (6363) performs research and development on multi-phenomenological waveform monitoring problems to deliver innovative and practical software applications and solutions. We develop operational monitoring software in support of the US and International nuclear monitoring and non-proliferation mission. Our work ranges from basic research and development to fully deployed operational data processing and analysis systems. We specialize in software architecture and development, geophysics, seismology/infrasound, machine learning, big data analytics, algorithm development and data analysis. We strive to think outside the box in our development efforts to advance the state of the art in support of the monitoring mission.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a SCI security clearance.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance and SCI clearance, which may require a polygraph test.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship and SCI clearance, which may require a polygraph test.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT