Sandia National Laboratories Software Systems Engineer (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
The Engineering Solutions Department (9351) is pursuing outstanding Software Engineers to join its team in the position of Software Systems Engineer. Organization 9351 develops and supports custom web applications that support the Nuclear Security Enterprise (NSE). We have users across all sites within the NSE who rely on our systems to perform critical job functions in support of nuclear weapons product realization and dismantlement. Team members work directly with these end users to deliver excellent customer support and applications that meet our user’s business needs.
Our work is guided by industry best practices. When developing new IT systems for our mission customers, Org. 9351 embraces Agile development (specifically Scrum). Changes to the IT portfolio are guided by The Open Group Architecture Framework (TOGAF). Once these applications are deployed, 9351 embraces ITIL and IT Service Management to provide excellent customer support. A successful candidate will have the opportunity to work in all of these areas, learning new skills as appropriate to broaden his or her horizons.
On any given day, you may:
- Work together with other engineers to fix a tricky development issue or implement a significant new feature.
- Meet directly with customers and end users to capture their needs, using mockups, UML models, or simple text as appropriate.
- Provide customer support by helping users with how to use an application, troubleshooting issues, or fixing critical defects.
- Engage with enterprise architects on defining a roadmap to a future state for the IT portfolio.
- Learn a new skill via mentoring, self-study, or formal training courses.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Management of Information Systems or related discipline plus five years of experience; or a Master's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Management of Information Systems or related discipline plus two years of experience; or at least 13 years of relevant experience
- At least 5 years of experience with full lifecycle software engineering
- At least 3 years of experience with objected oriented programming using Java
- At least 5 years of experience with web application development using Java Enterprise Edition
- At least 2 years of experience with relational database design, SQL, and stored procedures
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, ability to work effectively in teams, and a passion to improve and expand technical skills
- A working understanding of software quality processes and full lifecycle development methodologies such as the Scrum, KANBAN, Rational Unified Process (RUP), CMMI, and ITIL/ITSM
- Knowledge of model-based software development techniques, including experience with the Unified Modeling Language (UML) or System Modeling Language (SysML)
- Prior experience with one or more of: service-oriented architecture (SOA), microservices, usability, mobile application development, cybersecurity, and/or performance optimization
- Experience in Nuclear Weapons processes and procedures
- A current L or Q DOE security clearance
The Engineering Solutions Department (9511) is responsible for the strategy, design, and implementation of software applications that support Sandia's nuclear weapons program. These classified applications are used at Sandia and throughout the Nuclear Security Enterprise. The department provides a broad spectrum of specialties supporting the engineering community including project leadership, requirements analysis, data modeling, system design, and application development.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT