Sandia National Laboratories R&D Mechanical Design Engineer (Early Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking motivated Mechanical Engineers to join our dynamic Design Engineering Group (2270). Applicants may be sourced and selected for any departments within the organization. The Mechanical Design departments provides mechanical design engineering services using Pro/Engineer and other 3D modeling tools. We partner with Product Realizations Teams (PRTs) to produce high quality design models and engineering drawings of systems, components and layouts including assembly and piece part definition using Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T). We create design concepts for major system refurbishments and modernization efforts for all aspects of the life-cycle design process from model creation through simulation and analysis. We apply research to the design, development, analysis, and testing of mechanical and electromechanical systems. We analyze the ability of systems to withstand stress imposed by conditions such as temperature, load, and vibration. We are accountable to produce designs that fully meet form, fit, and functional requirements for our Nation's security programs.
- Bachelor & Master degrees in Mechanical Engineering; a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering plus four years directly related experience may be considered in lieu of a master’s degree.
- Experience using CAD software for 3D solid modeling and mechanical drawing generation.
- Experience applying first order analysis and simulation tools.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance.
- Understanding of product design lifecycle.
- Experience using PTC-Creo software for mechanical engineering design.
- Understanding of configuration management principles.
- Evidence applying Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerance (ASME Y14.5) specifications and performing tolerance analyses.
- Demonstrated successful teamwork with excellent communication skills.
- Experience mentoring other individuals.
- Proven record of demonstrating initiative and getting results.
- Strong leadership skills with a desire to be involved in product design and development.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT
This Limited Term Employee (LTE) position is a temporary position for one year term, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to a maximum of seven years.
Individuals in LTE positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.