Sandia National Laboratories R&D Electrical Engineer-Electrical Qualification (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking an Electrical Engineer within the W88 ALT 370 Technical Basis and Qualification Department (Org. 2334) to join the qualification team in support of a range of electrical and functional qualification activities. The selected candidate will support the development and execution of qualification activities for the WR and JTA bodies and will be part of a tightly integrated team working to design, develop, qualify, and produce the W88 ALT 370 weapon system in normal, abnormal and hostile environments. The responsibilities of this position includes specification and documentation of test strategies, management of testing resources as well as configuration of test equipment, support of laboratory and field test activities, test plan preparation, test execution, data analysis, and generating technical reports that will be the technical basis which supports the final weapon development report and the DRAAG. In addition to responsibilities for verification of system electrical and functional performance these positions also involve supporting the flight test team with compliance activities associated with live fire testing from Trident submarines. The selected candidates will also work with customers to negotiate requirements and represent the program at executive-level meetings.
This position has exciting growth opportunities and are an integral part of our overall development effort. This position will also include a variety of interactions across the program including coordination with partner organizations across the laboratory and external interaction with the Navy, NNSA, LANL, Lockheed Martin and other agencies. In this role, there is significant opportunity for leadership development, and the successful candidate will be given the opportunity to engage in leadership development activities both independently and as part of the larger team.
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in Electrical Engineering, Physics or related engineering field;
- Experience with electrical and functional test and/or analysis;
- Possession of a DOE Q (or equivalent) clearance and ability to obtain and maintain a Sigma 15 security clearance.
- Experience in system engineering of complex systems;
- Experience with NW component or system design, development or production;
- Demonstrated ability to understand and work with a diverse set of technologies;
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment showing initiative and leadership;
- Motivation to work with a large integrated Systems team with broad interaction;
- Must be able to apply strong interpersonal and communications skills working with a diverse team ranging from skilled laborers to PhD engineers/scientist;
- Demonstrated ability to plan and execute technical work;
- Ability to negotiate competing requirements to give the best system-level outcome;
- Ability to discover, understand and articulate constraints, options, paths-forward;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Commitment to operational safety, security and quality;
- Some travel will be required to support development, test and program needs.
The Weapons Program Integration Department provides program management and integration support to SNL Systems, Subsystem, and Component project teams and the NNSA Nuclear Weapons Complex (NWC).
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance to start.
Position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance or active clearance with another US government agency, e.g., DOD, to be considered for this position.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT