Sandia National Laboratories R&D Cybersecurity (Early/Mid Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking full-time cyber security engineers to join our team. The engineers are responsible for the strength of Sandia’s cyber defenses. Due to growth of the Cyber Security Program at Sandia several different areas of our program currently have vacancies, including within Sandia’s Cyber Tracer Program, which provides cyber defender training, education, and attack simulation events. Successful candidates will be matched to the appropriate opening based on experience, education, and interest.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Contribute to the development of strategies and architectures for Sandia’s secure cyber environments.
- Develop cyber security technology solutions, including application of technology in areas such as encryption, authentication, identity, and access management.
- Assure the security of Sandia’s cyber environment through detection, analysis, forensics, and reverse engineering of malware
- Produce detailed, accurate reports of results and conclusions of analysis and engineering.
- Participate in a cross-functional team to respond to cyber incidents and remediate attacks.
- Collect attack and investigation metrics and trending data.
- Serve as Sandia’s cyber security subject matter expert on both internal and external teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Engineering, Computer Information Systems, Computer Forensics, Mathematics, or a related field plus four years of experience; or Master’s degree in Computer Science/Engineering, Computer Information Systems, Computer Forensics, Mathematics, or a related field; or doctorate in relevant discipline
- Demonstrated software engineering experience with development tools (e.g., C/C++, Perl, Python)
- Undergraduate GPA minimum of 3.2/4.0; Graduate GPA minimum of 3.5/4.0.
- Familiarity in secure-system design principles and information assurance principles, including next-generation networking, computing technologies.
- Familiarity in informatics processes and tools for information extraction from large datasets or heterogeneous data sources.
- Proven ability to research and develop technology solutions for cyber security applications;
- Proven strong analytical skills;
- Outstanding customer service orientation and teaming abilities;
- Strong oral and written communication skills, ability to explain complex ideas clearly and concisely;
- Familiarity with the use of automated forensic tools such as Encase Enterprise and AccessData Forensic Toolkit and demonstrated ability to articulate the processes being conducted by these tools;
- Ability to analyze network traffic and packet capture to understand data flows and identify anomalous behavior;
- Ability to decipher known and unknown file formats, data structures, and TCP/IP based protocols and familiarity with hex editor programs;
- Knowledge of, if not experience with, network design, implementation, and administration, database systems, web servers, application servers, firewalls, routers, switches, and unique technical approaches to providing strong network security Existing DOE Q clearance
- Graduate degree in Computer Science/Engineering, Computer Information Systems, Computer Forensics, Mathematics, or a related field; GPA minimum 3.5
- Strong project management skills with the ability to multi-task and manage several projects at any given time
- Familiarity with quality repeatable processes such as ISO, ITIL, Lean Six Sigma.
Sandia's Cyber Security Program is responsible for the protection of Sandia's electronic information while enabling mission work. Our Cyber Security responsibilities include technology research and development of next generation cyber systems and technologies; including but not limited to areas such as encryption, authentication and authorization methodologies, intrusion detection, vulnerability assessment, penetration testing, forensics, reverse engineering incident response, and remediation. Further, we conduct data acquisition in support of the corporate electronic discovery requirements related to litigation and investigation of waste, fraud and abuse. Sandia prides itself on providing cyber security leadership across the NNSA and DOE complex. We operate in a fast-paced environment against sophisticated, focused adversaries and enjoy the Labs' support in the execution of our mission.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT