Sandia National Laboratories Postdoctoral Appointee - Inertial Confinement Fusion and High Energy Density Physics in Albuquerque, New Mexico
This postdoctoral position is a temporary position for up to one year, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to five additional years. The PhD must have been conferred within five years prior to employment.
Individuals in postdoctoral positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Appointee to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team to investigate magnetically driven inertial confinement fusion and high energy density science and applications through analytic theory and computational target design using high-fidelity simulations.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Plan, conduct, and report on independent scientific research addressing key issues in ICF and HED
- Help develop and collaborate on target designs for experiments on HED facilities such as Z, OMEGA-EP, and OMEGA
- Analyze data from experiments on Sandia's Z pulsed power facility as well as propose and investigate new solutions
- Collaborate with experimental and diagnostic physicists and engineers
- Publish results in peer-reviewed journals and present at appropriate scientific conferences
- PhD, conferred within 5 years prior to employment, in Physics or closely related Engineering field
- Experience in post-processing data using Python, Matlab, Mathematica, IDL, VisIt, ParaView, EnSight, or other platforms/scripting languages
- Experience working with experimental research and/or analyzing experimental data
- Record of publication of results in peer-reviewed journals and/or external presentations at scientific conferences
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoE Q clearance
- Technical competence in hydrodynamics and/or magnetohydrodynamics demonstrated through publications in refereed journals
- A broad background in physics or engineering that will allow the candidate to participate in other aspects of multidisciplinary high energy density physics research
- Experience using massively parallel computing platforms
- Experience with or knowledge of electromagnetic particle or hybrid codes or analysis, structural codes or analysis, or radiation transport codes or analysis
The ICF Target Design Department (1684) pursues theoretical and simulation based analyses and assessments of inertial confinement fusion (ICF), stockpile stewardship relevant, and other high energy density physics experiments on a variety of platforms, including the Z Facility and the National Ignition Facility (NIF). The department's core competency lies in the design and analysis of high energy density experiments, with a particular focus on ICF and radiation hydrodynamics experiments. They rely on complex, integrated, multiphysics simulation tools,with a particular focus on the magnetohydrodynamics of high energy density plasmas, and on spectroscopic diagnosis of high energy density plasmas. In carrying out their mission, department 1644 collaborates closely with Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL), and the UK Atomic Weapons Establishment (AWE).
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT