Sandia National Laboratories Mechanical Engineer for Nuclear and Reactor Facilities (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a Mechanical Engineer to provide a wide range of engineering expertise for the Nuclear Reactor and Systems Engineering Department supporting the nuclear facility operations within SNL Technical Area – V. This role will provide opportunities to advance your technical and subject matter expertise, and to fill roles that require increasing levels of responsibility, project management skills, and interfacing with customers, line, and program management.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Define customer needs, develop design requirements, and generate concepts through production, implementation, and field support
- Lead engineering projects with multi-disciplinary teams involving mechanical, electrical, and nuclear engineers, safety analysts, fabrication and test personnel
- Lead elements of the engineering program; design engineering, systems engineering, and configuration management by developing and improving processes and procedures
- Support a large and very diverse body of legacy hardware and the associated activities and users
- Create new capabilities by using the scientific method’s hypothesis, test, and evaluation techniques; critical review; or similar engineering research and development methods
- Utilize engineering principles to research, design, or develop structures, instruments, machines, experiments, processes, systems, or technologies; to construct or operate the same with full cognizance of their design; or to forecast their behavior under specific operating conditions
- Bachelor’s AND Master’s degree in a relevant STEM discipline
- Two years of experience in science and engineering
- Experience with computer aided design software
- Experience with mechanical system, subsystem, and component design
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q clearance
- Familiarity with nuclear facility programs and processes
- Experience using SolidWorks or Pro/ENGINEER
- Experience with Finite Element Analysis (FEA) stress analysis software
- Experience using technology to solve complex or difficult problems
- Experience with engineering configuration management
- Willingness to accept responsibility and take on more than one assignment at a time
- Desire to learn new skills as required and develop expertise in areas that may be unfamiliar
- Active Q clearance
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as work well in multi-disciplinary team environment, building consensus and resolving issues
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong organization and planning skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to prepare clearly-written technical reports and briefings
The Nuclear Reactor and Systems Engineering Department (Org. 1385) provides engineering analysis, design, performance monitoring, configuration management, and maintenance planning and coordination with the goal of ensuring the performance and reliability of the safety-related systems at the nuclear facilities located in Sandia's Technical Area V (TA-V). These nuclear facilities provide combined neutron/gamma and gamma radiation environments for radiation effects testing to support Sandia's Nuclear Weapons Strategic Management Unit stockpile stewardship activities and a variety of external customers. The nuclear facilities include (a) the Annular Core Research Reactor, which is an open-pool reactor that can be operated in a "pulse mode" or a "steady-state mode," (b) the water-based zero-power reactor critical experiments in support of criticality and analytical benchmark data for nuclear power industry issues, (c) the Gamma Irradiation Facility, which utilizes cobalt-60 to provide high-intensity gamma irradiation environments, and (d) the Auxiliary Hot Cell Facility for processing of legacy nuclear and radioactive materials.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT