Sandia National Laboratories Materials Mechanics Modeling Postdoctoral Appointee in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Appointee to develop and apply materials models for high strain rate physics problems. These models will incorporate Equation of State (EOS) under extreme conditions of temperature and pressure.
Key functions of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Developing models and designing computational tools used to predict wide ranging response of materials
- Publishing and presenting results
- PhD in Physics, Materials Science, or related engineering discipline
- Experience using, developing, and programming constitutive and EOS models in engineering mechanics codes, particularly hydro-dynamics codes
- Experience in scientific computer programming for advanced computers with some experience in machine learning
- Good communication skills as evidenced by a history of publication of results in peer-reviewed journals and external presentations at appropriate scientific conferences
- Expert knowledge of materials thermodynamics and kinetics, EOS, materials mechanics
- Experience using, developing, and programming scientific software to simulate and predict materials mechanics response under extreme loading conditions
- Experience in generation of EOS for materials from electronic structure calculations and experimental data
- Experience in use and application of machine learning to develop models and analyze results
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and an ability to interact well with fellow technical workers of diverse technical backgrounds
- Candidates must be able to publish and to present cutting edge technical work at technical conferences
The Multiscale Sciences Department develops advanced materials simulation capabilities at scales ranging from electronic and atomistic scales to the continuum engineering scale that utilize high-performance computational methods to solve currently intractable problems of national importance. The department is involved in national security and nuclear energy modeling and simulation initiatives. The department also leads efforts to develop peridynamics and non-local gradient free methods for solid mechanics applications involving fracture, failure, and fragmentation.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record checks, and employment and education verifications. Further, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to the work site. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance, and one subsequently becomes required or you bid on positions that require a DOE-granted security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for DOE-granted security clearances must be U.S. citizens and be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance as required for the position.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT
This postdoctoral position is a temporary position for up to one year, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to five additional years. The PhD must have been conferred within five years prior to employment.
Individuals in postdoctoral positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.