Sandia National Laboratories Jill Hruby Fellowship 2018 in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are now accepting applications for the 2018 Jill Hruby Fellowship in National Security Science and Engineering. The Hruby Fellowship is one of Sandia National Laboratories’ most prestigious postdoctoral fellowships. This fellowship aims to develop women in the engineering and science fields who are interested in technical leadership careers in national security. All qualified applicants will be considered for this fellowship.
Jill Hruby Fellows have the opportunity to pursue independent research that supports Sandia’s purpose: to develop advanced technologies to ensure global peace. In addition to receiving technical mentorship, Jill Hruby Fellows participate in a unique, prestigious leadership development program. To be considered for this fellowship, applicants must display excellent abilities in scientific and/or engineering research and show clear promise of becoming outstanding leaders. Fellows may work at either of Sandia's principal locations in New Mexico and California.
Applicants must include a CV with a statement of interest (in the same document as the CV). The statement of interest should be no longer than five pages and should describe: interest in the position from a national security point of view, technical and leadership or management interest, summary of research plan, and long-term career plans. Please submit your CV and statement of interest document with your online application. All materials and online application must be received by midnight November 1, 2017.
The Hruby Fellowship is a three-year appointment and normally commences on October 1, although exceptions may be made to accommodate special circumstances.
For benefits and complete fellowship information, please visit: http://www.sandia.gov/careers/students_postdocs/fellowships/hruby_fellowship.html
- Ph.D. conferred within the past three years or completion of Ph.D. requirements by commencement of appointment (10/1/2018)
- Evidence of strong academic achievement, exceptional technical accomplishment, leadership and ability to team effectively
- No previous postdoctoral appointments at a national laboratory (internships excluded)
- Research in areas relevant to national security
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE security clearance, which requires US citizenship
- Creativity and self-motivation
- Good communication skills
- Interest in management/leadership
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, dynamic environment
- Demonstrated interest and/or experience in service to the nation
- Broad-based background and extensive knowledge in one or more of the following areas: bioscience, computing and information science, engineering sciences, geoscience, materials science, nanotechnology and microsystems, and radiation effects and high energy density sciences
Each Hruby Fellow will work in a department relevant to the research being proposed. Department 1171 supports the selection of Hruby Fellows, who are part of the science and technology (S&T) community at Sandia, on behalf of the Chief Research Officer (CRO). The CRO is responsible for the core science and technology capabilities in support of our national security mission and successful management and implementation of research strategies and initiatives across the broad S&T community.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT