Sandia National Laboratories Intern - Marine & Hydrokinetic Energy Conversion R&D Graduate Year Round in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking an Intern Year Round - R&D Grad
The Water Power Technologies Department (08822) is seeking a student intern for activities in marine and hydrokinetic energy conversion, including wave and tidal energy resource characterization and assessment, and research and development of wave energy conversion (WEC) and current energy conversion (CEC) technologies.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Assist with projects that include wave climate modeling, data post-processing and analysis.
You bring the confidence and skills to be eligible for the job by meeting these minimum requirements:
- Earned bachelor's degree
- Currently attending and enrolled full time in an accredited science, engineering, or math graduate program
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Ability to work up to 30 hours per week during the academic year, and up to 40 hours per week during the summer
- U.S. citizenship
- Pursuing graduate degree in engineering, mathematics or science discipline
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral) as well as personal initiative, responsiveness, and attention to detail
- Experience with the processing and statistical analysis of large data sets
- Experience with Matlab
Sandia's Water Power Technologies Department performs research and development to improve performance, lower costs, and accelerate the deployment of water power technologies. The primary focus area of the department's work is Marine Hydrokinetics (MHK) research with lower levels of effort in Offshore Wind (OW) and Hydropower. The department is responsible for all aspects of Marine Hydrokinetic device design, performance, system reliability, system integration, and environmental evaluations for the Department of Energy's Wind and Water Power Technologies Office and in collaboration with industry partners. Offshore Wind Energy activities currently include Vertical Axis Wind Turbine (VAWT) design and analysis and foundation scour. Hydropower efforts focus on seasonal simulation and optimization. Through partnerships with industry, academia, other National Labs, and public dissemination of results, Sandia serves an important role in energy security for the nation.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record checks, and employment and education verifications. Further, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to the work site. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance, and one subsequently becomes required or you bid on positions that require a DOE-granted security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for DOE-granted security clearances must be U.S. citizens and be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance as required for the position.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT