Sandia National Laboratories Electronic Communications/Network Technologist (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
As a member of the Communications/Network project team, the successful candidate will work with a dynamic group of field test support personnel to ensure the successful completion of the Laboratories flight test mission. Members of this team are responsible to the Range Manager for activities that maintain the Range’s suite of instrumentation in a test ready status. All team members are expected to assume numerous roles and be willing to learn the principles of operation of telemetry, radars, optics, and communications systems. Each member is trained and qualified to perform an operational role during test activities. Assisting in the development of the future Range systems is integral in the responsibilities of each team member. Each team member is responsible for following established range processes and procedures to ensure that all compliance requirements regarding the operation, facilities and infrastructure are met with quality. Incorporation of all corporate safety and work planning processes are inherent in this activity.
Primary Job Duties
The Communications/Network project team is seeking an electronics technologist (with specialization in communications/network technology) with demonstrated experience with various systems to include wired/wireless communications, network systems and both legacy and fiber optic infrastructure, digital and remote operations and integration experience for radar and optical tracking equipment, and ground and /or mobile telemetry stations. The role requires a comprehensive understanding of communications, copper and fiber networks, and relevant infrastructure installation and maintenance. Technologists are expected to: troubleshoot discrete component technology without the aid of schematics, integrate current technology (fiber/RF/other) into legacy systems, develop procedures and documentation, and able to set-up and calibrate equipment. The position also requires an understanding of PC-based control systems, wired and wireless systems for data and voice, and the ability to effectively integrate and troubleshoot legacy systems into modern data equipment.
We are seeking a communications/network technician to join a multidisciplinary team that is designing and developing advanced components, subsystems, and systems for national defense programs, homeland security, and non-defense applications. These engineering teams employ state-of-the-art technologies, including sophisticated software tools for design, analysis, modeling, and simulation.
Basic Position/Inter-Personal Requirements
- Willingness to live in either Tonopah or Las Vegas, NV.
- Ability and willingness to remain away from home in a remote location 4 days and 3 nights, or more if required to meet mission needs.
- Demonstrated ability to work in both in a team and independently while demonstrating a professional attitude.
- Ability and willingness to work under a structured Work Planning & Controls process.
- Ability to complete work under high-stress settings and ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience working with competing priorities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the development and delivery of presentations, proposals, and reports.
- Strong interpersonal skills, initiative, conflict resolution, ability to take instruction/direction, and critical problem solving skills.
On any given day, you may be asked to:
- Operate a wide range of data/voice/fiber optic/RF transmission equipment related to analyzing and diagnosing problems encountered during live flight and ground tests, while receiving, transmitting, and recording customer data.
- Demonstrate knowledge and experience with electrical/communications design, installation, testing, repair, and maintenance.
- Operate, maintain, upgrade, and trouble-shoot communications and network systems with state-of the-art equipment for supporting unique flight test data and supporting remote field testing as required.
- Interface with new and existing customers to understand and implement operational requirements and to tailor the systems and configurations to support mission requirements.
- Maintain and update network/communications security plans and procedures as needed.
- Develop and implement equipment upgrades to keep various systems and infrastructure technically aligned with current industry standard systems and range requirements.
- Apply ability to read and understand blueprints, drawings, layouts, and other related specifications.
- Apply experience and demonstrated skill in conducting research, investigating alternative solutions, and recommending solutions on problems affecting electronic/communications systems and equipment.
- Associate’s degree in the Electrical, Electronics, Computer Science, Information Technology, or other relevant field of study awarded by a nationally recognized educational institution. Four years directly related experience may be considered in lieu of an Associate’s degree.
- Three or more years’ working experience with communications, data, network (wired and RF-based), and/or voice communications systems.
- Demonstrated experience with various traditional and innovative communications platforms, architectures, and network systems, both in design, operation, and documentation.
- Demonstrated knowledge of, and hands-on experience with, fiber optic network design, installation, testing, trouble-shooting, repair, and maintenance.
- Ability to acquire and maintain a DOE “Q” clearance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Electronics, Computer Science, Information Technology, or other relevant field of study awarded by a nationally recognized educational institution.
- Ability to read and understand schematics, drawings, layouts, and other relevant technical and design specifications.
- Remote/austere field test experience.
- Certified Fiber Optic Technician (CFOT) Certification.
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) Certification, or applicable networking certifications.
- Familiarity/experience with Layer 2 and Layer 3 technologies, including LAN and WAN.
- Experience and demonstrated skill in conducting research, investigating alternative solutions, and recommending solutions on problems affecting systems or equipment.
- Ability to prepare systems or equipment performance tests and reports.
- Experience with IP data network architecture and network monitoring software.
- Experience in server administration, installation and maintenance.
- Familiarity/experience with remote control of remotely fielded electro-mechanical systems.
- Current and active DOE Q-level security clearance.
Department 02235 operates the Tonopah Test Range for the National Nuclear Security Administration under Sandia’s Prime contract. The Department consists of 20 Sandia personnel and 35 contractors responsible for the technical operations associated with the nuclear weapons flight test mission and the maintenance of a 280 square mile integrated test range facility with an instrumentation suite of precision tracking radars, telemetry ground stations, optical tracking mounts, meteorological data systems and numerous pieces of support, test and communications/network equipment and fiber optical infrastructure.
Work location is primary at the Tonopah Test Range and the normal work week is Tuesday through Thursday, 13-14 hours a day. Deviations to the normal schedule occur to facilitate mission requirements and may require personnel to remain away from home 4 days and 3 nights or possibly longer at a remote location. Work schedules may change as required to meet organizational needs.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT